Anxiety is among the most common mental health disorders. More than 18% of adults are diagnosed with an anxiety disorder every year in the US. This mental health condition makes it difficult to perform your daily tasks effectively. Symptoms include sweating, rapid heartbeat, feelings of nervousness, panic, and fear. Read on and learn some of the best treatment options for anxiety.
Getting the best diagnosis can ensure that you get the best treatment for anxiety. Many people with anxiety disorder can benefit from these three treatment approaches: psychotherapy, medication, and exercise.
Anxiety Disorder Treatments
Just like other health problems, anxiety disorder requires treatment. However, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to mental health treatments. Each person may need one or different combinations of these treatments. Some people will do well with psychotherapy alone, while others might need medication first to help them concentrate on the therapy. Sometimes, it may take trial and error for a psychiatrist to discover the best treatment for anxiety that fits you.
Psychotherapy or psychology counseling involves working with a therapist to deal with your emotional response to the disorder. As your therapist, I will take you through different approaches to help you better manage the disorder. These strategies include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is one of the best treatments for anxiety. CBT is a short-term psychotherapy treatment that helps recognize behaviors and thought patterns that cause anxiety. Then you learn skills that will improve your symptoms and gradually return to your normal activities.
- Exposure therapy involves dealing with fears or situations behind the anxiety disorder. It helps you face your fears or engage in activities you have avoided to build confidence.
While medications don’t exactly cure an anxiety disorder, they help relieve the symptoms. Medications used for anxiety disorders include:
- Antidepressants: certain antidepressants help with an anxiety disorder by tweaking how the brain uses certain chemicals to reduce stress. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) are the two classes of antidepressants used to treat anxiety disorder.
- Anti-anxiety medications: a mental health doctor may prescribe buspirone. They may reduce anxiety, worry, and panic.
- Beta-blockers, or benzodiazepines: in some cases, your doctor may prescribe other types of drugs like sedatives, also known as beta-blockers or benzodiazepines. These medications help reduce physical anxiety disorder symptoms like shaking, rapid heartbeat, and trembling.
Lifestyle Changes and Home Remedies
While psychotherapy and medications are the most commonly used anxiety treatment, lifestyle changes can also help. For instance, exercise can keep anxiety at bay. It improves your mood and helps you to stay healthy. Develop a routine today. Begin slowly and gradually increase the intensity of your activities.
If you don’t want your condition to get even worse, avoid alcohol and other recreational drugs. If you are already an addict, support groups and rehabilitation centers can help. Also, quit caffeinated beverages and smoking. Nicotine and caffeine can make the condition even worse.
I also recommend relaxation and stress management strategies like yoga and meditation. They help ease anxiety symptoms. Also, make sure you are getting enough sleep and eating healthy.
An anxiety disorder can make your life difficult. But, you don’t have to live like this when several effective anxiety disorder treatments are available. Schedule an appointment with me today for the best treatment for anxiety in Chandler, AZ!